Feeding a larger family on a budget can be difficult. It can also be tricky to find a meal that is not only quick and easy to make, is fairly nutritious and satisfy all the family.
Hot Dog Pasta has to be one of our favourite quick family meals.
It is super easy to make, quick (around 15 minutes), and the kids will wolf it down. The best bit is that you can easily add some hidden vegetables to it …. although I am yet to hide them successfully and the children will make a fuss so we tend to leave them out when cooking for them. I do love it with some mushrooms though!
All you need to make Hot Dog Pasta is:
- Enough pasta for your family
- Hot Dogs – around 5-8 (I prefer to use Brockhurst Frankfurters)
- 1 carton Passata sauce
- Add in some hidden veg if you wish
You can cook this dish in just one saucepan – making it easier to clean up too!
To make in one pan:
* Put the pasta in to boiling water and simmer until cooked.
* Cut up hot dogs (and mushrooms/veg of choice).
* Once the pasta is cooked, drain and return to saucepan.
* Add the passata, and hot dogs (and optional veg).
* Continue to simmer until hot dogs are heated through (takes just a few minutes).
Obviously, you can use two saucepans if you wish – I often do this if I am adding onions, or want to make extra pasta for lunches.
The sauce is also freezable, so it’s great to make in bulk and then you just need to microwave the sauce and add it to cooked pasta.
This is such a simple dish, but definitely one for those days when you want a quick meal when you’re in a rush.